Report: FOX Looking to Extend NASCAR Deal Early
TMC
2012-06-19 01:45:46 UTC
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06/report-fox-looking-to-extend-nascar-deal-early/

Fox Sports is reportedly looking to extend its NASCAR deal a year
ahead of schedule.

Sports Business Journal reported Monday that FOX “has started serious
negotiations with NASCAR” on an extension of the parties’ current
eight-year television deal.

The early negotiations will allow FOX to avoid bidding for NASCAR
rights in the open market, where potential suitor NBC is expected to
drive up prices.

According to the report, fellow incumbents ESPN and Turner Sports have
not yet begun negotiating with NASCAR.

FOX acquired NASCAR rights in 1999 and began airing races in 2001.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/06/18/Media/Fox-NASCAR.aspx
c***@snet.net
2012-06-19 11:27:31 UTC
Post by TMC
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06/report-fox-looking-to-extend-nascar-deal-early/
Fox Sports is reportedly looking to extend its NASCAR deal a year
ahead of schedule.
Sports Business Journal reported Monday that FOX “has started serious
negotiations with NASCAR” on an extension of the parties’ current
eight-year television deal.
The early negotiations will allow FOX to avoid bidding for NASCAR
rights in the open market, where potential suitor NBC is expected to
drive up prices.
According to the report, fellow incumbents ESPN and Turner Sports have
not yet begun negotiating with NASCAR.
FOX acquired NASCAR rights in 1999 and began airing races in 2001.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/06/18/Media/Fox-NASCAR.aspx
____________
So Boogity-Boogity in to late summer at least? Cool! I think I'm one of the only fans of this sport that still likes Boogity boogity. It's called PERSONALITY folks - get some! bwahahahh!

-CC
John McCoy
2012-06-19 16:11:49 UTC
Post by c***@snet.net
So Boogity-Boogity in to late summer at least? Cool! I think I'm one
of the only fans of this sport that still likes Boogity boogity. It's
called PERSONALITY folks - get some! bwahahahh!
Not sure how you get "late summer" out of the quoted article.
It doesn't say anything about extending the length of FOX's
package.

It is interesting, tho, that FOX is trying a preemptive tack
to hold their broadcast rights. It's long been rumored that
FOX doesn't make any money on NASCAR (despite the significant
increase in commercial minutes compare to pre-2000 broadcasts).
Presumably they hope that NASCAR will go for the "bird in the
hand" and accept a low offer that will let FOX make money,
versus going to bid and maybe getting a worse deal.

As for boogity, having the personality of a clown is nothing
to be proud of.

John
t***@gmail.com
2012-06-23 21:21:35 UTC
Why don't you twitter that to Darryl, or say it right to his face? . . .

. . Thought so.
John McCoy
2012-06-24 13:20:43 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Why don't you twitter that to Darryl, or say it right to his face? .
. .
. . Thought so.
Why? Waltrip knows my opinion of him, I haven't made any
secret of it. For that matter, he knows acting the clown
isn't something to be proud of. But it gets him attention
(and money), and attention is what he's wanted ever since
he called himself the "wild child" at Nashville, so I doubt
he'll change.

John
t***@gmail.com
Well, next time be the better and keep such "clown" comments to yourself. It's in the Book. ;)
Obveeus
2012-06-19 12:23:37 UTC
Post by TMC
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06/report-fox-looking-to-extend-nascar-deal-early/
Fox Sports is reportedly looking to extend its NASCAR deal a year
ahead of schedule.
Sports Business Journal reported Monday that FOX “has started serious
negotiations with NASCAR” on an extension of the parties’ current
eight-year television deal.
The early negotiations will allow FOX to avoid bidding for NASCAR
rights in the open market, where potential suitor NBC is expected to
drive up prices.
According to the report, fellow incumbents ESPN and Turner Sports have
not yet begun negotiating with NASCAR.
The Turner Sports (NASCAR on TNT) portion of the NASCAR schedule is the only
one likely to change hands. It is a short run of races (only 6) each summer
and they do not have any Truck or Nationwide races. The only real gem in
this part of the scedule would be the '4th of July race' (wherever it falls
on the calendar) in Daytona.
Nancy2
2012-06-19 14:38:16 UTC
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I can do without TNT's coverage, for sure. Kyle is so much worse than
Mikey.

N.
Official Original Crank It Up